Indian PM Modi Deleted His Weibo Account After Banning Chinese Apps
Karamchand Rameshwar
Amid tensions between India and China, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi decided to delete his account on China's biggest social network Weibo.
- PM Modi Got His COVID-19 Vaccine While Not Wearing A Mask
- PM Modi's New Aircraft Is On Par With US President Donald Trump's Air Force One
- Hackers Attacked PM Narendra Modi’s Twitter To Ask For Cryptocurrency
Chinese social network Weibo recently announced it had shut down the Weibo account of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the request of the Indian Embassy in China.
Modi created an account in China’s biggest social network during his visit to the country in 2015. Since then, Modi has continued to use the account to post and interact with Chinese users. Before being shut down, Modi's account has more than 200,000 followers and a total of 100 posts. His posts are usually in Chinese or combined with English.
Modi's account closure notice was issued by the Chinese social network amid India's decision to ban 59 Chinese mobile apps, including Weibo and Tiktok. Of these, the Tiktok app is very popular in India, with nearly 200 million users.
Talking to Reuters, a source from the Indian government said that it took a lot of time to take down Modi's account. “For VIP accounts, Weibo has a more complex procedure to quit which is why the official process was initiated. For reasons best known to the Chinese, there was great delay in granting this basic permission,”, said the source.
According to Reuters, Modi is one of the few foreign leaders who have an account on the social network Weibo. In addition to Mr. Modi, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro also have accounts on this platform.
>>> China-Based ByteDance Could Lose Up To $6 Billion With TikTok Ban
Featured Stories
ICT News - Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
Mobile - Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
ICT News - Feb 15, 2026
X Platform Poised to Introduce In-App Crypto and Stock Trading Soon
ICT News - Feb 13, 2026
Elon Musk Pivots: SpaceX Prioritizes Lunar Metropolis Over Martian Colony
ICT News - Feb 10, 2026
Discord's Teen Safety Sham: Why This Data Leak Magnet Isn't Worth Your Trust...
ICT News - Feb 09, 2026
PS6 Rumors: Game-Changing Specs Poised to Transform Console Play
ICT News - Feb 08, 2026
Is Elon Musk on the Path to Becoming the World's First Trillionaire?
ICT News - Feb 07, 2026
NVIDIA's Gaming GPU Drought: No New Releases in 2026 as AI Takes Priority
ICT News - Feb 06, 2026
Elon Musk Clarifies: No Starlink Phone in Development at SpaceX
ICT News - Feb 03, 2026
Elon Musk's SpaceX Acquires xAI in Landmark $1.25 Trillion Merger
Read More
Mobile- Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
For users tired of ecosystem lock-in or high prices, the Xiaomi Tag represents a compelling, no-frills option that delivers core functionality at a fraction of the cost.
Mobile- Feb 17, 2026
Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs
The Samsung Galaxy S26 series is on the horizon, sparking excitement among tech enthusiasts.
ICT News- Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
As the smartphone landscape evolves, Google's push toward superior face unlock technology underscores its ambition to close the gap with Apple in user security and convenience.