More People Became Victims Of Facebook Security Lapse
Saanvi Araav - Apr 21, 2019
Facebook updated a 21 March blog post to admit that millions more Instagram accounts had been affected by its security lapse.
- Instagram Launches A Lite Version For Users In Rural And Remote Areas
- Australia Passed New Law That Requires Facebook And Google To Pay For News Content
- Facebook Stops Showing Australian Content, Even From Government Sites
On one of the busiest days for American news, Facebook has decided to admit that the number of people affected by a security lapse was much higher than it first stated.

Facebook updated its blog post on March 21, which disclosed they had stored hundreds of millions of encrypted passwords by mistake, to reveal that millions more of Instagram accounts were also affected.
Initially, the post on the 21st referred to the number of victims as:

However, in the recent update, Facebook revealed that they found out other Instagram logs about the insecure password storage. The update said:


Evan Greer of Fight for the Future (non-profit privacy advocacy) claimed that with this timing, it is clear that Facebook wants to bury this huge scandal.
She said:

Therefore, the false is mainly on Facebook's side because they have stored lots of passwords without any encryption for a long time. The common practice for the whole industry is to store passwords with layers of encryption so no one can use it beside the owners. In Facebook's case, if someone stole the passwords, they would able to use them easily.

On the other hand, in an interview with the Guardian, a spokesman of Facebook said that there isn't any evidence of the passwords' misuse or abuse. He said:

Featured Stories
Mobile - Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
ICT News - Feb 15, 2026
X Platform Poised to Introduce In-App Crypto and Stock Trading Soon
ICT News - Feb 13, 2026
Elon Musk Pivots: SpaceX Prioritizes Lunar Metropolis Over Martian Colony
ICT News - Feb 10, 2026
Discord's Teen Safety Sham: Why This Data Leak Magnet Isn't Worth Your Trust...
ICT News - Feb 09, 2026
PS6 Rumors: Game-Changing Specs Poised to Transform Console Play
ICT News - Feb 08, 2026
Is Elon Musk on the Path to Becoming the World's First Trillionaire?
ICT News - Feb 07, 2026
NVIDIA's Gaming GPU Drought: No New Releases in 2026 as AI Takes Priority
ICT News - Feb 06, 2026
Elon Musk Clarifies: No Starlink Phone in Development at SpaceX
ICT News - Feb 03, 2026
Elon Musk's SpaceX Acquires xAI in Landmark $1.25 Trillion Merger
ICT News - Feb 02, 2026
Google's Project Genie: Premium Subscribers Unlock Interactive AI-Generated Realms
Read more
Mobile- Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
For users tired of ecosystem lock-in or high prices, the Xiaomi Tag represents a compelling, no-frills option that delivers core functionality at a fraction of the cost.
ICT News- Feb 15, 2026
X Platform Poised to Introduce In-App Crypto and Stock Trading Soon
X has been laying the groundwork for this expansion.
Mobile- Feb 17, 2026
Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs
The Samsung Galaxy S26 series is on the horizon, sparking excitement among tech enthusiasts.
Comments
Sort by Newest | Popular