Bharti Airtel Shut Down 3G Services In Kolkata
SachinSangwan - Jul 01, 2019
Bharti Airtel has also said that the move was to give strength to its 4G network and they are planning to reframe the 900MHz spectrum.
- Delhi Is The World’s Most Polluted Capital City For Three Years In A Row
- Indian Farmers Install High-Tech, Night-Vision CCTV Cameras To Protect Themselves
- Looking For The Best Electric Bike In India 2021? Take A Look At These
Bharti Airtel has begun to shut down its 3G services as well as upgrade 3G network users to its 4G network to compete with Reliance Jio.
In Kolkata, Airtel announced the news on Friday and became the first telecom operator company to shut down its 3G network. The company has also said that the move was to give strength to its 4G network and they are planning to reframe the 900MHz spectrum.
In the country, 3G technology appeared in 2011, and at that time, it was the fastest network in India.

In the past one year, VoLTE traffic of Bharti has increased significantly and now this initiative will even boost the traffic further. While Bharti's voice traffic was negligible in December 2017, it now makes up 40 to 50 percent of total VoLTE network. The figure can grow larger when users move from 3G to 4G networks. So far, the company has already occupied half the VoLTE traffic.
Randeep Sekhon, CTO – Bharti Airtel said:

According to sources, Airtel will completely kill the 3G network in the next six months in India and users will have to upgrade their network.

Airtel will maintain support for 2G users since they account for 70 percent of its total user base and it will be more difficult to move them to 4G compared with 3G users because they don't have smartphones. Nevertheless, the company made it mandatory for 2G customers to recharge every month with at least Rs 35 to weed out low-paying users.
The company said in a statement:

Reliance Jio is currently the only telecom operator who has a fully 4G user base.
Featured Stories
ICT News - Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
Mobile - Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
ICT News - Feb 15, 2026
X Platform Poised to Introduce In-App Crypto and Stock Trading Soon
ICT News - Feb 13, 2026
Elon Musk Pivots: SpaceX Prioritizes Lunar Metropolis Over Martian Colony
ICT News - Feb 10, 2026
Discord's Teen Safety Sham: Why This Data Leak Magnet Isn't Worth Your Trust...
ICT News - Feb 09, 2026
PS6 Rumors: Game-Changing Specs Poised to Transform Console Play
ICT News - Feb 08, 2026
Is Elon Musk on the Path to Becoming the World's First Trillionaire?
ICT News - Feb 07, 2026
NVIDIA's Gaming GPU Drought: No New Releases in 2026 as AI Takes Priority
ICT News - Feb 06, 2026
Elon Musk Clarifies: No Starlink Phone in Development at SpaceX
ICT News - Feb 03, 2026
Elon Musk's SpaceX Acquires xAI in Landmark $1.25 Trillion Merger
Read more
Mobile- Feb 17, 2026
Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs
The Samsung Galaxy S26 series is on the horizon, sparking excitement among tech enthusiasts.
ICT News- Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
As the smartphone landscape evolves, Google's push toward superior face unlock technology underscores its ambition to close the gap with Apple in user security and convenience.
Mobile- Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
For users tired of ecosystem lock-in or high prices, the Xiaomi Tag represents a compelling, no-frills option that delivers core functionality at a fraction of the cost.
Comments
Sort by Newest | Popular