Apple Brings The AirPower Back, The iPhone 9 Has Entered Mass Production

Dhir Acharya - Mar 24, 2020


Apple Brings The AirPower Back, The iPhone 9 Has Entered Mass Production

It seems that Apple is reviving the AirPower wireless charging pad, a leaker claims. The rumor comes after the company canceled the project last year.

All we know is that Apple officially killed its wireless charging pad AirPower last year. At the time, the tech giant said that the prototypes couldn’t meet its standards. However, it looks like Apple has brought the project back from the dead.

The AirPower project is back
The AirPower project is back

Over the weekend, leaker Jon Prosser went on Twitter and claimed that the tech giant is trying to re-engineer the AirPower from the ground up with the focus on wireless coils to better displace heat and that it’s making prototypes. He noted in the thread that the current prototypes don’t support the Watch Series, which is an even bigger hurdle preventing the company from launching the product.

MacRumors revealed that Prosser is more of a Google leaker but according to Ming-Chi Kuo, there could actually be a smaller wireless charging mat coming out within the first six months of this year. So Posser’s tweets may some rumored problems that led to the cancellation of the AirPower, such as overheating. Cramming 20 coils into a sleek, small design makes it overheat and inaccurately report battery level.

Prosser’s rumors didn’t cover just the airPower but also the iPhone 9. He said in his tweets that Apple has begun mass-producing the upcoming budget iPhone. Though we haven’t known its official name, many rumors say that this is a successor to the iPhone SE, a famous affordable Apple smartphone. Essentially, the upcoming iPhone will share the same design with the iPhone 8 while packing updated hardware and coming at a lower price of around Rs 30,400.

The leaker claims that Apple is working with China-based BYD to accelerate production, but the company itself hasn’t announced anything, probably due to canceling its March event. However, that didn’t stop it from launching new products including the Powerbeats 4, a new MacBook Air, and a new iPad Pro.

>>> iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Pro Might Be Replaced By New Affordable iPhone Models

Comments

Sort by Newest | Popular

Next Story

Read more

Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs

Mobile- Feb 17, 2026

Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs

The Samsung Galaxy S26 series is on the horizon, sparking excitement among tech enthusiasts.

Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID

ICT News- Feb 18, 2026

Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID

As the smartphone landscape evolves, Google's push toward superior face unlock technology underscores its ambition to close the gap with Apple in user security and convenience.

Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag

Mobile- Feb 16, 2026

Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag

For users tired of ecosystem lock-in or high prices, the Xiaomi Tag represents a compelling, no-frills option that delivers core functionality at a fraction of the cost.