Blockchain-Based App 'Smashboard' Aims To Help Sexual Assault Victims, Especially In India

Anil Singh - Dec 06, 2019


Blockchain-Based App 'Smashboard' Aims To Help Sexual Assault Victims, Especially In India

Smashboard aims to help sexual assault victims to tackle internal psychological barriers, feelings of embarrassment and the likes of these, which have killed them inside.

According to a survey conducted in the few past years, the number of unreported sexual violence cases soared to over 99% while only the remaining 1% went reported to the police. To remind, those cases can take several years before a victim gets ready to share such a woeful story. The catch behind this silence contains a myriad of reasons and prejudices they have to face from the conservative society and even themselves. Internal psychological barriers, victim-shaming social factors, the feeling of embarrassment and the likes of these have killed them inside. Due to that, an app that aims to help those people has been rolled out.

Fddc736c15bee1cfaebbf5975f66b16f
Victims have to face prejudices from the conservative society.

To address the problem, the Indian journalist Noopur Tiwari has come up with an idea of making Smashboard. With the help of technology, Tiwari expects this app to help the victims as much as possible. In detail, Smashboard comes packed with Ethereum Blockchain to privatize as well as encrypt users’ messaging. While Smashboard is available around the clock, victims can have a much safer online space with the help of pseudo-anonymity.

Gettyimages 683980690 Slide Ad0cd5b819ccbb75c474bb
The app also suggests a number of mental health practitioners and legal supports.

In the meantime, blockchain will generate timestamps of sexual assault events with help from victims. As a matter of fact, police and judicial authorities could have more information and evidence regarding criminal activities and how to help victims come forward. Along with that, the app also suggests a number of mental health practitioners and legal supports. Thankfully, most of the said features are based on Tiwari’s experiences of helping sexual assault victims.

Smashboard is now available in English, French, and Spanish. Once it gets expanded, many non-English victims in India will be able to access the app and no longer have to suffer the psychological silently.

Comments

Sort by Newest | Popular

Next Story

Read more

Xiaomi Mi A4 Not Coming As Xiaomi Ditches Its Android One Project

Mobile- Aug 07, 2020

Xiaomi Mi A4 Not Coming As Xiaomi Ditches Its Android One Project

So after 3 years in the Android One program, Xiaomi has officially discontinued the Mi A-series and there won't be Xiaomi Mi A4.

Satellite Images Show The Terrifying Aftermath Of Beirut Explosion

Features- Aug 06, 2020

Satellite Images Show The Terrifying Aftermath Of Beirut Explosion

A welder is the cause of the explosion. Fire from the welder spread to a close warehouse that stored about 2,750 tons of highly explosive ammonium nitrate.

Drunk Man Stole PPE Kit, Thinking It Was Raincoat, Contracted COVID-19

Features- Aug 06, 2020

Drunk Man Stole PPE Kit, Thinking It Was Raincoat, Contracted COVID-19

After seizing the PPE kit, officials collected the man’s sample to test for COVID-19. And the result turned out to be positive.

Google Pixel 4a vs OnePlus Nord vs iPhone SE 2020: Which Is The Best?

Mobile- Aug 07, 2020

Google Pixel 4a vs OnePlus Nord vs iPhone SE 2020: Which Is The Best?

Google Pixel 4a is a new mid-range smartphone, which is slated to come to India in October. Let's see how the phone fares against the OnePlus Nord & iPhone SE 2020.

Chennai Is Storing 690 Tons Of The Same Chemical That Cause Lebanon Explosions, Are We In Danger?

Features- Aug 07, 2020

Chennai Is Storing 690 Tons Of The Same Chemical That Cause Lebanon Explosions, Are We In Danger?

Following the Lebanon explosions, people are worried about 690 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in Chennai. Are we at the risk of a similar explosion?

Foldable Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 Announced With Massive Upgrades

Mobile- Aug 06, 2020

Foldable Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 Announced With Massive Upgrades

The new-gen Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 comes with massive upgrades in multiple departments like design, performance, display, and cameras.