In July, when it was revealed that the founder of well-known education app Byjus, Byju Raveendra, secured a $150 million fund, he has finally entered the billionaire’s club. The 37-year-old teacher who turned entrepreneur is now the newest tech billionaire of India. Think and Learn, another company of Raveendran also landed a deal to launch an education app with Disney. Here are 10 facts about Byju Raveendran, India’s new tech billionaire.
1. Byju Raveendran comes from Azhikode, a coastal village in Kerala.
2. Before becoming an entrepreneur, Raveendran was an engineer working for a UK-based shipping firm.
3. In 2006, he became a teaching coach for students to help them prepare for Maths exams.
4. He also helped his friends as well as other students with their CAT exams.
5. Raveendran got a score of 100% for his CAT exam.
6. In 2011, he formed Think and Learn.
7. Four years later, he founded Byjus and officially launched the app. In just 3 months, the apps had more than 2 million downloads.
8. At the moment, the number of students using Byjus is more than 35 million. Out of them, around 2.5 million have paid for subscriptions.
9. Byju’s value is set at $5.7 billion. The company belongs to the unicorn club of India which is for companies with $1 billion valuations.
10. Byjus will take over the jersey of the Indian cricket team from September 15.