Facebook Has Removed 1.5 Million Videos Of New Zealand Mass Shooting Within 24 Hours
Harin - Mar 18, 2019
Facebook, criticized for its live streaming, says it deleted 1.5 million videos of the New Zealand mass shooting in a single day.
- Instagram Launches A Lite Version For Users In Rural And Remote Areas
- Australia Passed New Law That Requires Facebook And Google To Pay For News Content
- Facebook Stops Showing Australian Content, Even From Government Sites
Facebook is facing huge criticism because of its live streaming video feature following New Zealand mass shooting that killed 50 people. The alleged suspect is thought to have live-streamed the attack via the social network.
On Sunday morning, the company posted on Twitter saying it had removed 1.5 million videos of the shooting within 24 hours. All edited versions of the clip will also soon be deleted soon.
1.2 million videos had been blocked at upload, which means that there were still 300,000 videos appeared on Facebook. The company did not reveal the number of people may have seen those videos nor give specific details on how it reviews and blocks content.
Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, said that she wanted to discuss the live stream issue with the company.
On Sunday, during a press conference, she told reporters that the chief operating officer of Facebook Sheryl Sandberg had contacted her over the attacks.
Ardern said:

Arden also stated that US tech giants need to answer “further questions.”
On Friday, 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant from Australia was charged with murder for the Christchurch massacre. So far, Tarrant only held responsible for one count of murder. But according to the judge, that number would likely go up.
Tarrant is accused of broadcasting the attack online via Facebook. The shooting killed 50 people while injured 50 ones.
While the social network removed the 16 minute-video, Facebook and other platforms like Twitter and YouTube have struggled to keep copies of video off their platforms.
On Friday, Business Insider said that it was still able to search for copies of the shooting video on both Facebook and YouTube with simple search terms.

Featured Stories
ICT News - Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
Mobile - Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
ICT News - Feb 15, 2026
X Platform Poised to Introduce In-App Crypto and Stock Trading Soon
ICT News - Feb 13, 2026
Elon Musk Pivots: SpaceX Prioritizes Lunar Metropolis Over Martian Colony
ICT News - Feb 10, 2026
Discord's Teen Safety Sham: Why This Data Leak Magnet Isn't Worth Your Trust...
ICT News - Feb 09, 2026
PS6 Rumors: Game-Changing Specs Poised to Transform Console Play
ICT News - Feb 08, 2026
Is Elon Musk on the Path to Becoming the World's First Trillionaire?
ICT News - Feb 07, 2026
NVIDIA's Gaming GPU Drought: No New Releases in 2026 as AI Takes Priority
ICT News - Feb 06, 2026
Elon Musk Clarifies: No Starlink Phone in Development at SpaceX
ICT News - Feb 03, 2026
Elon Musk's SpaceX Acquires xAI in Landmark $1.25 Trillion Merger
Read more
Mobile- Feb 17, 2026
Anticipating the Samsung Galaxy S26 and S26+: Key Rumors and Specs
The Samsung Galaxy S26 series is on the horizon, sparking excitement among tech enthusiasts.
ICT News- Feb 18, 2026
Google's Project Toscana: Elevating Pixel Face Unlock to Rival Apple's Face ID
As the smartphone landscape evolves, Google's push toward superior face unlock technology underscores its ambition to close the gap with Apple in user security and convenience.
Mobile- Feb 16, 2026
Xiaomi Launches Affordable Tracker to Compete with Apple's AirTag
For users tired of ecosystem lock-in or high prices, the Xiaomi Tag represents a compelling, no-frills option that delivers core functionality at a fraction of the cost.
Comments
Sort by Newest | Popular